Student ‘scarred for life and loses smell after Lynx can explodes in face’
A student claims he has been left scarred for life and lost his sense of smell after a Lynx aerosol can exploded in his face.
Josh Ditchfield, 21, from Hall Green, Birmingham said that he suffered a huge cut on his nose from when the can blew up and he could even have gone blind if he hadn’t put water on his eyes.
He has been decorating his bedroom and said that the deodorant can suddenly reacted when he picked it up – and he is adamant he did not place it on a hot or cold surface.
Josh – who studies rail engineering – said he had been left scared to use Lynx now as a result and was looking at getting legal advice after suffering a suspected broken nose.
“I’m not comfortable with the way I look anymore,” Josh told BirminghamLive.. “I split my nose open and had to have six stitches.
“I’ve had the stitches removed but it’s left a nasty scar. I’m wearing a mask now because I don’t want people to be staring at me.”
Josh said Lynx had asked him to send the can back so they can investigate what happened.
He said he was left shocked by the mysterious circumstances of the “explosion”.
“There was no bang,” he added. “The lid was still closed. The whole thing just exploded. The bottom bit of the can went into my nose.
“I ran to the bath because my eyes were burning. I went to the hospital and they said if I didn’t splash my eyes with water I would have gone blind.”
Josh was rushed to Heartlands A&E and later went to Queen Elizabeth Hospital to see a face specialist.
He said he waited eight hours to have stitches and was told he had suffered a “clean, deep cut”.
“It stands out like a sore thumb. I want people to know the risks. It shouldn’t be happening. I just want to make people aware of it,” he said.
Lynx deodorant is made by Unilever who said it would look into the incident.
A Unilever spokesperson said: “We are extremely sorry to hear about what must have been a very distressing experience for Josh. The safety of our products is our priority.
“We have rigorous safety checks in place for all our products and every aerosol can is tested before it leaves the factory. We’re supporting Josh to understand what may have happened in this instance and a thorough investigation by our safety and quality teams is underway.”