Title courtesy of Portent Title Generator
“Where there is no vision, the people perish…” – Proverbs 29:18
We mentioned in our guide to online video marketing before that humans, specifically internet users, are a visual bunch of learners. 65% of the human population can attest to this. It’s because images are processed so much faster than any word—written or spoken. In fact, the brain processes images 60,000x faster and stores 90% of the information it sees.
That’s why it only makes so much sense to utilize visual content. It’s appealing, easy-to-digest, and extremely shareable.
Because of this, there’s an increasing trend of infographic production during the past few years.
And the demand is going to increase further.
So why are infographics such a sell?
– Only 20% of readers will read through your entire text article or page. The other 80% usually lingers long enough to read the headline and the first paragraph. That’s because the average attention span of internet users is only 8 seconds long—less than the time it took to read this paragraph. (Yes, we timed it.)
In social media sites, infographics and other visual content gets 5x more shares than text content.
Since it can stand alone as an image with a permanent link, unlike text where it needs to be published in a blog exclusively, infographics can be used over and over again and can even be marketed as an inbound tool.
All the roads point to infographics being a major component in inbound marketing campaigns. So if you haven’t gotten in on the trend yet, we suggest you do it now.
In the meantime, here’s a message from one of the greatest teachers who ever lived.
We can’t argue with that, especially on the “All good things are difficult to achieve.” part.
As you might have noticed, a lot of work goes into making an infogaphic. Facts should be fact-checked twice, thrice, again and again. The design should be in line with branding guidelines, while being engaging enough for a targeted audience. And that’s just for the content.
So how could an infographic become successful? It really depends on what you’re looking to gain. Is it links? Viral status? Customer education? Awareness? Whatever it might be, infographic success hinges on the following: audience, content, and promotion.
Think of it this way: every time you churn out infographics, it’s like you’re presenting a new product on the market. But before you even do that, you study the kind of people who will consume and benefit from that product. Eventually, the color of the product, how it’s packaged, its shape, flavor, and its characteristics will be based entirely on how the target market likes it.
The infographic’s topic should come from a place of query, a place of research. Find out what your audience needs by asking them and listening to them where they converse most of the time (forums, discussion posts, social media comments, etc.)
One example of this is a multi-channel campaign that we launched for Afterschool.ae, an online portal for after-school activities in UAE. The campaign is slotted for Mother’s Day, with an infographic as its centrepiece. The objective of the campaign was to provide customer education, brand promotion, and link building.
Since Mother’s Day is one of the world’s biggest observed days, we ought to bank on the opportunities it will present for Afterschool.ae’s promotional efforts. Since mothers are naturally involved in this occasion and based on our experience, trivia posts are quite popular with our audience, we married these two ideas together to make this:
Ever wondered why comic books have such a huge following? It’s because elegantly woven storylines are matched with unique visuals. You can treat infographics like a comic strip. Include characters, stories, details that will enrich the experience of your viewers/readers.
When you’re offering something, a common point of trust must be established between the giver and receiver. If you offer something that’s relevant, of high quality, and from legitimate sources, it will be received with positive response. The same goes for infographics.
We took all these factors into consideration before we launched the campaign and we are glad to say that it delivered.
In Facebook alone, the post generated a total reach of 1435, 2093 impressions, and 26 new likes—all organic. The infographic also generated 3 inbound links on that day alone.
It educates, it promotes, it pulls in traffic, and at times, it can convert. Why does it sound familiar? Because it is.
Devrix said it best:
Infographics are the new blogs.
It’s time to realize the value that infographics bring to the table. Blogging changed the digital marketing game and infographics are poised to do the same.